Zone 2 – Wetlands
The Hout Bay wetlands have critical functions that benefit people, plant and animal life.
- provide a habitat for a wide variety of plant and animal species.
- filter, purify and store water. Wetlands perform the function of cleaning for other ecosystems.
- collect and hold flood waters.
- soak up wind and tidal forces.
- help maintain the water table.
- keep the rivers at normal levels.
- have plants that help control water erosion.
- allow for recreational activities that bring us in touch with nature.
To maintain a healthy ecosystem in Hout Bay it is critical to maintain healthy wetlands.
Developments on wetlands play havoc with natural systems and are against the law.